Saturday, February 21, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I went to see Slumdog Millionaire last night and thought it was brilliant, taking me vividly right back to my time in India many years ago. It also made me grateful for the opportunity I have to serve with Communities for Communities http://www.communitiesforcommunities.com.au/ which is a group in my local area which holds events for the local community to join in - we have a golf day, trivia night, charity ball, women's lunch etc. - to both raise awareness of other communities and funds to assist them. We are involved in two projects at the moment helping build homes, schools and communities buildings for people who live on rubbish tips in the Phillipines and Vietnam.

Much of the movie is set in slums and there are graphic shots of the rubbish tips on which children work and how these children are abused. The visuals assault your eyes, the soundtrack fills your ears and the content breaks your heart but in the sanitised cinema there are no smells. I'm so glad that this movie is bringing to the eyes of the western world how other people live so we can be filled with gratitude for our own lives and called to action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home